My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Goodbye 2013, Hello 2014!

Joy here…I've started to come up with a theory that my good years are the even ones, and my bad years are the odd ones.  I mean, I was born on an even year; I was married on an even year; I finished my PhD on an even year; I started running races on an even year; I started cycling races on an even year…so really, even years are the ones that work for me.

Alternatively, on odd years I've found myself taking a job in a different city from my husband; I learned the fine art of whinging and complaining during odd years; I quit my job and had to "find myself" during an odd year; and I seem to use odd years as the years to transition from one sport to another:  2011 saw me transition from running to cycling, and 2013 saw me transition back to running.

What all this means is that I've decided 2014 has just gotta be one of my good years.  After all, it's an even year, so, I have every reason to have high hopes.

The pool at my gym where I've been doing a little
water running and a few laps this week.
Add to that superstitious little belief in even years the fact that my professional and personal lives are on a roll and that I happen to be living in an ideal setting, and I really think that 2014 is gonna be a game changing year for me.

And, well, I think everyone should start off every year with that kind of optimism.  I mean who cares what happens throughout the rest of the year, whether or not that optimism ends up being squashed or bogged down as the year progresses?  It's my belief that with each turning of the new year we get the chance to press a giant "reset" button on life so that we can tweak, refine, hone, improve, and increase the quality of our lives in every way possible.  We can be better, fitter, nicer, smarter, richer, healthier, funnier, happier, and all around more special in every way possible.

So as I've hit my workouts for this first week of 2014 - lifting weights at the gym, going for a swim, completing my run workouts - I'm feeling like I'm ready to tackle the world and be the best me that I can be in 2014!

See ya later, 2013!  Helloooooo 2014!
Over and out,
Joy

1 comment: