My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Monday, June 17, 2013

We made it!

Finding time to finally put my feet up!
Joy here...Wow, life has been rather hectic of late.  And by hectic I mean bat-shit-crazy.  We've had to pack up our house, wrap up some work projects, organize our cross-globe trek, and arrive safely and soundly in Malaysia.  Oh, and we also had to fit in some workouts in there too.

On that last front, I'm happy to report that I've committed to the running, and have been hitting about 75% of my run workouts from Coach Woods over the past 4 weeks.  I'm starting to feel a bit better, and slowly I will feel like a runner once again.

Coach Woods' plan has me running on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and he wants me to work in some bike rides, and then he'll add in some more running workouts.

Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok
So the last few run workouts took place in Ottawa, with me and the running crew doing our drills in the cool-will-spring-ever-come air, and then we began our journey from Ottawa to Frankfurt to Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur.

We arrived - hot and sweaty - and made our way to the house where we are staying, promptly showered, changed, and headed out the door for a little run.  I won't lie to you: that was one of the most sluggish runs I've ever done!  I felt like a sweaty sack of potatoes (if potatoes could sweat), and everything from my knees to my toes hurt.  I think I lasted about 20 minutes or so, and then walked a bit.

But the next day was better.

The next day we got up and headed out to do our drills and workout.  So we found a flat stretch of road and while the Malaysians looked on at us like we were aliens, we were out there in the early morning sun doing our running drills -- see the video of The Man doing his one-legged squats!

Then I did an easy run - dodging monkeys the whole way - and felt my legs slowly but surely waking up to my new (sweaty) reality.
Gotta run around the monkeys!

Yesterday I had a 45 minute run scheduled, and we got up before the sun rose so that I could get out there and run loops around a 3km route close to where we are staying (I've run here before; for some previous posts with pics, please see:  Dec 2011, for instance, or May 2011 when I nearly shat myself, and where the monkeys roam freely).  There were loads of people out walking, and I seemed to be the only runner, but there were a few folks out there who saw me on my loops and would shout encouragement:  "woah, run so fast!"  It sure was a boost to my ego to have the Malaysians think that my jet lagged shuffle looked fast...they ain't seen nothin' yet!

So stay tuned for more updates, more photos, and more thoughts as I get over jet lag, get some fitness back, and discover what my new Malaysian life has to offer!

Over and out,
Joy


No comments:

Post a Comment